How many times does someone say "This recipe is great. It's the best I've made!" Well this time it's true. I believe the secrets are a very low oven and then it gets put into the freezer straight from the oven!
I found the recipe at Life In A Peanut Shell.
3/4 cup (6 oz) butter
2- 1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1- 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1- 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tsp lemon juice
1- 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (I just used 2 bananas)
1/2 cup (4 oz) butter
1 (8 oz) packaged cream cheese, softened
3-1/2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 135C
- Grease and flour a 9x13 pan
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes - this will make the cake very moist.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 tsp vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and beat on low until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
Cook this! It really, really is moist.